Wednesday, April 11, 2012

What's with my dual-boot setup?

Before I got Windows 8 beta working on here, I split this hard-drive into two partitions, so that I could keep Windows 7 on one, and put Windows 8 on the other. It took me a couple of attempts to get everything just right, but I did get both operating systems sharing this hard-drive, and working just fine - or so I thought.

I've discovered there's a few peculiarities about having a dual-boot setup, and
some are an advantage, while at least one may not be. The good news is that I can now be working with one operating system while accessing and using the files and folders of the other one. That's 'cool'..... But yesterday, while working in the Windows 7 side of the drive, I noticed that the files I thought I was filing into Windows 7 folders were actually being filed into similarly-named folders of the Windows 8 system. I don't know what's going on there, and it's probably a fault in the operating system, but which one?  Is it a Windows 7 problem? Or is it a Windows 8 problem? Or is there something wrong with the Boot Sector? I don't know, and I'm not into this deeply enough to figure it out. That's not my job anyway. I just use these things, I don't build 'em. And I don't use them if they aren't working right.

Moving right along here, it must be Spring - I saw four girls wearing short-shorts yesterday; one real 'cookie' and three 'dog-biscuits'. Sometimes, I'm glad that I'm no longer 'young and horny and desperate'. 

And I signed up for an account with our Income Tax people yesterday, following which they informed me that my tax return has been assessed and my refund will be deposited into my bank account next week. If they've concluded that the numbers were correct and they owe me the refund, I can't help wondering why they're waiting until next week to deliver it. Is the government going broke? Do they have to wait until they collect a few more payroll deductions from the rest of you before they can pay me back my interest-free loan? 
Questions that I won't get answered.....
 

1 comment:

  1. "But yesterday, while working in the Windows 7 side of the drive, I noticed that the files I thought I was filing into Windows 7 folders were actually being filed into similarly-named folders of the Windows 8 system."

    Ray, are you familiar with redirecting the "My Documents" folder. Maybe this is your situation, as each OS is putting your files into it's own default location.

    "my refund will be deposited into my bank account next week"

    And at the blazing speed of our modern communication and computer systems!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete