Tuesday, August 21, 2012

About yesterday's pictures...

You may have noticed that only the first couple of them will get really large after you click on them, while the rest appear larger than before, but only the default size of 800 by 600 pixels. That's because I've used up the storage allowance on Google's Picasa Web Albums, which they use for handling photos on your blog.

I also made another discovery: deleting several months of the earliest blog posts and their pictures doesn't seem to free up any space, because apparently that isn't how it works. The alternative is to either pay a monthly fee for more space, or settle for the basic free size allowance of 800 by 600 pixels for photos.

That basic size will show the image alright, but it's no good if you wanted to enlarge it into a monitor background, for example, because the image quality will suffer. Shrinking an image is OK, but enlarging one creates problems.

So why don't I buy the extra storage space? Because it's a monthly rental and I'm not comfortable giving out my credit card number for monthly debits just for something like that. Google bunches several things together when allotting its storage, and I don't like that, because I'm not interested in those other storage items as much as I am the photos portion. This system works well for Google, but it isn't much help to those who don't want to use every aspect of it. For example, I don't need storage for my Gmail, because if it's something I want to keep, I will file it on my own computer, where I can control access to it. And that's the other aspect of all this - when something's stored on others' equipment, you don't have control of the access to it, in case you wanted that.
Those who are storing it for you are controlling access to it, and may be using that for their own purposes.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Ray... I think you've solved one of my problems with my blog...We've been GOOGLED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Uncle Ron -

    You're welcome!
    If we want to exchange large images, we will have to do it by email, and most email programs also have limits on the total size of individual transmissions, so if we are sending several pictures, we might have to do that by putting some into a separate email. Where there's a will there's a way. And where there's a will there's also usually relatives! Enjoy your day, Uncle Ron!

    ReplyDelete