Sunday, September 23, 2012

Fixing broken eye-glasses frames


Sometimes, having some left-overs around from the last time you worked on some wiring isn't all bad. My fancy and rather expensive Japanese frames came
to an unhappy end while being washed yesterday morning, and after a frantic call to my Optometrist's, and being told to come right over, I decided to try patching them up myself, instead of wearing the ones from a previous prescription. I got out the crimping tool and a small insulated butt splice connector, checked the fit of it, and crimped it in place over the break. Voila! Works for me.

But I still went over to the Optometrist's, where I'd had my annual eye test on July 30th, and hadn't yet ordered any new glasses with that latest prescription.
These broken frames on the present ones made the decision for me. I picked out a new frame, got measured for the new progressives to go into it, and next week, my new glasses will be ready. Meanwhile, it's "Live Better Electrically".

While there, we got reminiscing about great frames of yesteryear, and I asked
"Remember the aluminum Safilo Sports, with the rubber forehead pad with the molded in nosepads, and the elastic strap across the back? You could walk into walls, or ski into trees wearing those, and you might get injured, but your glasses would remain unharmed. They were fantastic! Mine outlasted four changes of lenses and I loved them passionately." One of the gals in the office said, "I remember those! I had a pair that I wore for tennis, and they could survive being hit with a ball. They were great." Ah, the Good Old Days!

1 comment: