Saturday, October 6, 2012

Got my new glasses....

I had my annual eye test at the end of July, and the result wasn't a great deal different from the prescription I've been using, so my kindly lady Optometrist said that it was up to me- I could get new glasses or not, whatever I wished.

I opted to continue with the ones I had for a while yet, but while the lenses are still OK, the rather delicate frame they're in suddenly needed replacing, and it's now old enough that it is out of stock. It's a hand-made Japanese frame, of the latest space-age materials, but it had one weakness (aside from being owned by me, a compulsive 'tinkerer') - just ahead of each ear piece, there's an especially thin and delicate short little section of the temples, and the left one snapped while I was trying to adjust the fit better. So it was back to the Optometrist's for
a look at some other frames, and to finally order new glasses with the July prescription in them. They look like this......


These are also space-age materials in the frame, and a slightly more substantial design than the previous ones. And while they perhaps don't look it, these have
all the 'bells and whistles' available: progressives with transitions and Crizal coating for anti-glare. And with them, I have slightly better than 20/20 vision.

While I was waiting for these to be completed, and using an older pair from two prescriptions back, I decided to try re-inventing a frame for the ones that had the broken ear piece. I figured that if I had a short length of flexible plastic tubing on the right inside diameter to slip snugly over the ends of the broken 
parts, maybe I could get them temporarily useful again. So it was off to the building supplies store, for a look at their several sizes of plastic tubing. The one
I settled on is 1/4" O.D. x .170" I.D. Black Vinyl, and 2 feet of it cost 88 cents.
So I've rescued a fancy hand-made Japanese frame with 88 cents worth of plastic tubing that works like a charm! I cut off the unbroken ear piece, so that
the plastic can be fitted to the size of my head, and it looks like this...



The girls at the Optometry had a look at it, showed it around the office, and said only half jokingly that I ought to patent this idea. That would likely be far too much trouble for anything I might get from it, but I'm passing all this on just in case you ever need a quick, cheap, and nasty fix for a pair of broken glasses.
If the tubing fits the end of the break snugly enough, but when worn the glasses aren't lining up exactly right across your eye line, simply roll the tubing between your finger and thumb against the metal it is gripping, to rotate the tubing just a little, and that will change the relative twist in it, and raise or lower that end of the bridge frame. This allows you to get a perfect alignment across the eye line and for me, it worked out better than trying to adjust the original metal frames.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! That is genius! I see you have the gift of being skillful =) Anyways, I used to lose my eyeglasses too. But, ever since my nephew bought me a nice accessory for it – the one with the lace and the hook – I always knew where to find them, then. My NECK!

    Grant Weber

    ReplyDelete