Tuesday, October 30, 2012

More 'This & That' with Oldest Living Blogger...




I need a faster shutter or a more nervous finger, or both.... by the time I see it coming until I can push the button, it's come, grabbed a snack, and took off again, and all I get are a couple of blurry useless images. These crows are fast.

Moving along here, "How are you enjoying Windows 8 Pro, Ray?" you ask.......
And I might reply, "Not as much as I did Windows 8 Release Preview, because 
some of the Apps that worked fine in Release Preview won't install in Pro."

So you ask, "Is that your only complaint?" To which, I answer, "Not at all - I have others, like it asks me stupid questions while I'm trying to do something,
like when I'm dumping the wastebasket, it pops up a brilliant query "Are you sure you want to delete these 'x' items?" and I immediately think of that other operating system, the much-reviled Vasta Vista, in which you couldn't even fart without first answering a three-page questionnaire, and showing them a note from your mother. And I'm thinking, Gawd, they should have fired all those bastards who did that, because the best security in the world isn't worth a damn if you can't get anything done because of it."

You respond, "Wow! that's telling 'em! - Anything else?"  And I think for a moment, and say, "Yes - I understand why Microsoft prefers conformity across each of its platforms and commonality of procedures in its range of devices, but
there really ought to be a user-selectable set of choices for whether or not I must jump through all the features for a touch-enabled portable device while I'm simply booting up a non-touch-enabled desktop PC that doesn't need three
separate operations to get from switching it on to being able to reach its main
desktop and start something productive, useful, or entertaining on it. Complicating a formerly simple procedure for the 90% of Windows users who are still using desktop PCs doesn't seem to me to be the smartest possible way to endear yourself and your new system to its public and its prospective buyers."

And you wrap it all up by saying, "Thank You, Ray, we needed that and so did
Mighty Microsoft, and I hope they see this one." And so do I. And soon! 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Quinn -

    Thanks for confirming what I mentioned.

    Looks to me like they rushed out Win-8's retail version before they got all the bugs out of it, because some things don't work as well in the retail version as they did in the Release Preview. I hope they fix those things before we all decide to revert to good old Windows 7, and say "The hell with it!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please Note on the above.....

    Now that I think about it, I recall reading somewhere that there would be differences between Release Preview and the Retail version in that some of the Apps which were widely available for the Release Preview would be restricted to certain market regions or certain global regions due to the nature and availability of the item locally, and due to the preferences of its owners.

    That said, I'm just across the border in Canada, and I would assume there shouldn't be any problem accessing an App like USA Today which worked fine in Release Preview but won't in Retail. It does say "You own this App" and the tile shows up on the screen,
    but if clicked on, there's nothing showing me the latest news in it. All I get is a link to their main website, and I could have that anyway whenever I like. So this is totally useless to me. And that's just one example... but it's one that really bugs me, because I like USA Today, and I'd like to be able to continue receiving those full-screen images of it.

    ReplyDelete