Monday, October 22, 2012

My old pal Pete says....


My old pal Pete, checking the music I've posted on here from YouTube, thinks that he and I have "very different tastes in music". He sent me a link to a video
done by Burton Cummings in which he shows off his over-a-hundred-years-old piano, and the implication is that I've probably never heard of Burton Cummings and his music. And that would be just plain wrong....

There's a lot more to me than just a 'pretty face' Pete - and the music I've chosen so far to post here from YouTube is mostly golden oldies from my life
in smoky bars, acting the lounge lizard bit just about every night after work and
during many of my days off. During all that, I loved good jazz, (and still do!) but
after I got 'the cure' from my 26er-a-day habit with Doctor Smirnoff, and a good Collins mix, with a dash of grenadine for color, and extra sugar to dampen the bite of the booze - after all that, came my rock phase, and yes, I've heard of Burton Cummings. I've also got some of his albums, along with Led Zep, and a
few other hit-makers. I've worn out three copies of Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side', and
I have one more-or-less-undamaged copy left for posterity.

I also have 22 of Chet Atkins albums, and four or five dozen albums of purely
classical classics of the Bach and Beethoven sort of thing. One of those plays classics on several different harpsicords that are older than Burton's box, for sure, and they sound beautiful, too. So our musical tastes probably are rather different, but we don't know for sure, because there's a lot been happening in that gap between 1958 and just lately, and we haven't explored that yet.

2 comments:

  1. 22 chet atkins albums but nothing from "Blue Rodeo"
    Shameful to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 22 chet atkins albums but nothing from "Blue Rodeo"
    Shameful to say the least.

    ReplyDelete