Friday, November 2, 2012

"Dear Microsoft - "

Please Note:
This is a reply I sent to Microsoft in response to the second of two emails that they sent out, welcoming me as a user of Windows 8 Pro, and offering suggestions for personalizing it to make it more comfortable to use. Their mail
didn't contain any "no reply" information in its addressing, so I'm assuming they will receive my response. Here's what I said:-

 Hello, Microsoft -

"Personalize your Start Screen, change your Lock Screen image....."

Yesterday, while trying to select a folder and picture to replace the one on
the Lock Screen (Time, day, date, etc.) the program wouldn't give me time enough to select the file and then click on it before it would suddenly change out of that file and folder onto something on the next level of folders. I had to keep trying and trying, until I finally got lucky, and it actually held onto a file I selected.

At that point, I was just about ready to re-format that partition and put back
the Windows 8 Release Preview, which - and I know you don't want to hear this - I think was a better system than this retail version. Why? Because it ran things that this retail version doesn't - like the App for 'USA Today' which I liked because it showed full-screen images of items and pictures in the news.

I'm going to be 80 on November 11th (and I'll never pick that for a birthday again!) and even though I just got new $900 eye glasses with the progressives lenses, and the Transitions UV protection, and the Crizal coating to protect the lenses, (in other words, the whole bag of tricks) I still would say "the bigger the better" when it comes to images. And the website version of 'USA Today' doesn't display that same format as their App in Release Preview did. I have no idea why not.

Bottom Line: I'd like the Release Preview back, and I'd love to be able to transfer the Windows Key Codes from this Windows 8 Pro onto the Release Preview
and just leave it that way. The Preview was the better product in my considered opinion, perhaps because you were trying harder to make a good first impression ( and you succeeded). This Windows 8 Pro is definitely an anticlimax, and I'm disappointed because after Windows 7, I know you can do better than this.  And I don't have to mention that 90% of us PC users out here are still doing our thing on desktops, most of which are not touch enabled.

I know Windows 8 is based on Windows 7, but it seems that something got lost in the translation. I see unpleasant reminders of the much reviled Vista in Windows 8, and I don't like that at all. I went to some expense and considerable  effort to get rid of Vista on one of my PCs, and I don't want to be reminded of it. Maybe that's partly why I'm having a problem with Win-8 Pro.


No comments:

Post a Comment