Thursday, June 20, 2013

I was WRONG and I'm here to admit it.....

In a recent previous post, I mentioned that a freebie program CleanMem will optimize your Windows use of its RAM to make it much more efficient without simply loading up the Page File on your hard-drive. And that, Dear Reader, was
incorrect. I'd forgotten the cardinal rule of those offering advice, which is Engage brain before opening mouth!

This morning, after installing a fresh version of 'All CPU Meter' which now shows both RAM and Page File use in percentages, I was shocked and amazed to note that with CleanMem running, the Page File was showing up to 50% usage while the RAM was loafing along at 20 or 24%. 

As soon as I'd gone into Autoruns to remove the little tick marks from the entries (two of them) for CleanMem, to stop it from automatically starting up with Windows, and then did a Reboot to get all the little ducks realigned correctly, the RAM was once again showing like 36% to the Page File's 15%, which is a much more normal situation for Windows 8 (or any other Windows!)
because: as we're told by its designers at Mighty Microsoft, Windows Knows Best, and it can manage its own RAM and Page File better than you can and better than I told you CleanMem could. And as they tell us, we're far better off to just relax and let Windows do its own thing with all that.  And I'm sorry that
I opened my big fat mouth before engaging brain and doing homework!

Please Note: You can find the All CPU Meter here, and it installs into Windows 8
very much the same way the Windows 7 Gadgets install into Windows 7, if you have already installed the Sidebar and Gadget Pack contained in the freebie program 8gadgetpack v6.0 found here. You can't install this into Windows 7, but the extensive list of gadgets shown along with this will install separately into Windows 7 if its Sidebar is still enabled. Just make sure your Windows 7 Sidebar is enabled, and then download whichever individual gadget you'd like from the list along with 8gadgetpack, and it will install into Windows 7 for you like the original Windows 7 gadgets did. I've done it, so I know it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment