Thursday, June 27, 2013

Mystery Solved! Why the CPU cores were spiking frequently

I stumbled on the answer while I was looking at themes in Personalization in my Win-8. For days now, the little gadget that displays the actions of the CPU cores has been showing that these cores are constantly spiking from nearly zero up to 80 or 90 or even 100% of full scale every few seconds, and this has to be creating an unnecessary burden on the Processor.  I suspected a virus or something similar, and scanned it with several different antivirus programs, both installed and on-line types, all to no avail - it kept coming up 'clean', and making me more frustrated. And when you're 80, you're already frustrated enough, Kiddies, believe me.

But I digress. In those themes in Personalization, I noticed one marked as a
'synched theme' and it was a duplicate of a theme that I had made myself - so that struck me as being rather odd, and I deleted it, because my original is still there and quite sufficient. The very instant that I deleted that synchronized theme, the CPU spiking immediately stopped. So that goddamned synchronized theme was the cause of all that problem on the CPU, loading it up and making it run much hotter than it normally would have.

Here's an article about synchronization and how to stop it and I wish I'd found it sooner. Windows 8.1 also uses synchronization and therefore has the potential to cause a similar problem with your CPU, so you may want to check your own system for this condition, and perhaps disable synchronization. From where I'm sitting, it looks like it's doing more harm than good.

No comments:

Post a Comment