Friday, June 14, 2013

The Windows 8 Start Menu (and button)


I've been trying this out for a while now, and I'm still undecided about keeping it or reverting to the purist version of Win-8 sans Start Menu Reviver because for me, it's just not all that much benefit. I'm already familiar with how to access the start, reboot and shutdown in Win-8, because I've been playing with this little beauty ever since it was only seven and a half..... but if you'd like to try it you now have the link, above. 

The add-on for Win-8 that I really prefer is 8GadgetPack  which restores an improved Sidebar and Gadgets to Win-8 with an even larger collection of the gadgets than came in Win-7. I should add here that the 'Heads Up Display' shown above in mine is another extra that works along with it. So if you'd like to retro-fit your Win-8 for a more familiar Win-7 look and feel, there are ways.

And for all who are multi-taskers, there's CleanMem which optimizes your memory usage, and not by shoving stuff into the page file either. It simply gets Windows using its memory more efficiently, and its little gadget is shown above in the lower right corner of the screen. It can cut down your memory usage by
as much as almost half, and that's like having more RAM, and it's another of those fabulous freebies I love to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment