Wednesday, July 10, 2013

All these Apps: The Good, The Bad, & The Zombies

BBC News says two-thirds of Apple's Apps in its Apple Store are hardly-ever used. This article may get you wondering if that whole idea was such a big deal after all. If relatively few Apps are really popular and actually used, then why are there so many? 

Today's Question Everything is: "Was Microsoft wrong to follow Apple into the world of cute and colorful Apps?" Would a smaller selection of them be more useful and less confusing? How many Apps do you use regularly? Do we really need thousands? Where would we put them? The BBC says we ignore most.

I'm not a 'thumb-typer' and I don't use mobile equipment because I'm retired and mostly at home, but I do enjoy some Apps, especially those for the news.
One of my favorites is NBC News. Their 'Favorites' section with 'Top Slideshows'
is a nice feature, because a picture is worth a thousand words.

What's wrong with Apps? Many aren't adequately explained, well-enough defined, or take you where you didn't want or need to go. Which probably explains why the vast majority get very lonely among the unused ones. What seemed like a good idea at the time probably wasn't. The BBC has proof.

And now you'll have to excuse me while I check the App for USA Today. Theirs is another good one, with nice big pictures and a good selection of timely articles.
As you may have noticed, I often use a screenshot of it here in the blog - and I love the way Windows 8 can grab screenshots, even from a video you're watching, using the Windows Key + PrtScrn. That's a neat feature. See.......

 

No comments:

Post a Comment