Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Patch Tuesday.....and my 2 PCs....

Yesterday was 'Patch Tuesday' and having two computers, each having two operating systems on them,  it's like updating four computers. Nothing unusual about that, really, unless something goes wrong....

On one computer, the Windows 7 system's Windows Update got part of the way through its processes and then suddenly gave me the red flag of failure. Having had that sort of thing happen before, I resisted the urge to hit it with a hammer.
Instead, I went into Command Prompt, with Admin privileges, and did the old 'sfc /scannow' trick. It reported that it couldn't find any integrity violations in the files. So then I went searching for solutions for error codes, and into Microsoft Support, and Knowledge Base Articles, and Troubleshooters, and their magical automatic diagnoses, and secret remedies. All of that took several attempts before final success, and I got that one's updates completed in just three hours and sixteen minutes from the time I began. No wonder I look old and tired and totally frazzle-assed today. It's because I am!

The Windows 7 operating system on that computer comes from the same DVD as the Windows 7 operating system on the other computer, which didn't have any problems downloading the updates and installing them. And while I was doing all that searching for answers in Microsoft Support, I got invited to complete a short survey for them. It was only with heroic restraint that I managed to tick the little box which asked "Did you find what you were looking for?" and I was rather disappointed that there wasn't a 'Comments' section below, where I could leave one or two pithy remarks about the nature of existence, the state of my tenuous magnanimity, and the deviosity of labyrinthine reference systems. Those folks at Microsoft know what they're doing, leaving off the Comments box... And maybe that also explains the lack of a 'Feedback' icon on my Desktop. But I wish.....

2 comments:

  1. AAaaaaaaahh...I canth talk right now...I think I twisted my tongue on one of you lath sentences...Aaaah..the nature of existence, the state of my tenuous magnanimity, and the deviosity of labyrinthine reference systems.

    he-he

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love cussing, but an old and respected friend told me it's a sign of a lazy mind, so I've been trying to clean up my act....

    ReplyDelete