Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Note about 8gadgetpack's gadget for Google Mail....

I've just spent most of the afternoon confirming and re-confirming that there's something wrong with the gadget for Google Mail. The others work fine, but every time I try to enable that Google Mail gadget, my central processor goes nuts, and the gadget itself won't complete the installation, or if it does, the processor is constantly going crazy with above-normal loadings and higher temperatures. Scans do not show any infections, but there's definitely something very wrong there. The cure is to block the running of it using the Autoruns program from Sysinternals, and then that will stop it from running while you go into C:\users\yourname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets and delete the Google Mail gadget folder. Then dump it from your Recycle Bin. Then, do a reboot and the other gadgets and your processor should all work normally once again.

And while I'm on the subject of 8gadgetpack, the latest version of it is version 7 with revisions for using it in Windows 8.1. The version 7 of it does not work as well on my Windows 8 Pro, build 9200, as the previous version 6, so along with all those other problems, I removed the version 7 of it and replaced that with the version 6, which I just happened to have in my downloads folder. And that's a lucky break for me, because the author's website doesn't have downloads for the previous versions, unfortunately. These are the hazards of playing with freebies. It's all "mind over matter" - if you don't mind, it don't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment