Monday, November 18, 2013

And those who think this old guy is too smart for his own good

...would be absolutely right! As I write this, my other PC is re-installing its Windows because Old Smartass here made another F-F-F-F...mistake!

I was trying to reinstall Windows 8 over that painful Windows 8.1, when something went terribly wrong, and I suddenly couldn't start Windows 7 on the other partition. So for revenge, I'm re-installing Windows 7 Home Premium onto that partition that had the Windows 8.1. "Free at last! Yippee!"

The other PC is saying "completing installation", so I'd better get back to it.
(To be continued...) 

(continuing)...
And now Windows 7 has installed, I've got some time while it updates itself with 134 updates totaling 257.9 megabytes.... and I'm beginning to relax, because for a while there, it looked like I'd trashed both operating systems on that other PC, instead of just the one I intended to trash.  Speaking of those updates, since we're at this late date since its initial release, and since there's been a Service Pack One issued for it, why am I not getting a cumulative SP1 update that would include most of these others? Microsoft has been in this game long enough now, you'd think they'd have all the angles figured, wouldn't you? Well, you'd obviously be mistaken there. They're still using us for practice dummies.
And I wish I could chat with them, because I could maybe show them a couple of shortcuts that I've stumbled over while cussing at their only fair work.

This afternoon, I came within a whisker of installing PC-BSD on the other PC, and I would have, except I didn't want to wait three hours to download its ISO and then make a DVD from it. But I'm going to do that soon. I've got a DVD of
an older version, but there's been a major update to it since then, and I'd like the latest version, of course. It looks a lot like a cross between Windows and OSX, and like the OSX, its selections of programs are already pre-built for it, and you can't run just anything on there - so my freebie-hunting days would have to end if switched over to that. I could probably live with that if I tried, considering its other advantages. It's a lot less prone to malware infections, and the stuff that's made for it in the programs department usually works well. So it is definitely worth a try if, like me, you get really annoyed at the ongoing Windows problems. And those really bug me, because Microsoft ought to have that all worked out by now. God knows they've been there long enough! 

No comments:

Post a Comment