Monday, November 18, 2013

Short update on re-installing Windows....


I now have the freshest version of Windows 8 Pro in town, replacing that 8.1 on here that was driving me crazy. And I also have a fresh version of Windows 7 SP1, so everything's new on here tonight. And all my files went bye-bye in the process. Luckily, with two computers, and Homegroup, I can probably restore a lot of that from the other machine, once I get a few of the essentials restored on here. One of the first is about to be the Ultimate Windows Tweaker, to get rid of these dumbass arrows on the icons. Gawd, those are ugly!

So when things got messed up earlier, it was worse than I thought. The Windows 8.1 I wanted to lose, but the Windows 7 SP1 I was quite happy with,
until something happened to its NTLDR and it refused to boot. A message came up saying "Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart your computer" but that didn't even work according to plan. It would briefly flash up the start-up screen which then vanished again, and I only got into it by repeatedly hitting a key for the old "Press any Key" trick. It finally worked well enough to get started on an install disk, and the rest is history....and then the door on my DVD player jammed, and I couldn't get that disk out for quite a while. Finally, that began working again, just before I decided to trash the whole works, so I stuck in Windows 7 DVD and after three tries being told it was unable to repair my Windows 7, I had to settle for a completely fresh install of that too. So everything in here is new tonight,
and it's a good thing I have two computers, with the other's files still OK. But I did lose quite a bit from this one that I can't duplicate from the other, mostly recent pictures. And let's not get into the old 'why don't you use a back-up?' thing....Because I just love re-installing Windows, that's why. And I'm damned good at it too! I ought to be - I've had enough practice. And Windows is just like sex - you simply can't have too much practice. Trust me - would I lie to you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment