Sunday, November 17, 2013

That Recovery Image...


Here's what that will look like in your files under the main C:\ drive category list, and for those of us wondering how we might see what's in it, there's a small problem: it's a .wim file, so it isn't readily visible to the unwashed masses unless you have a program that opens WIM files, and there are some, like 7-Zip,
if you choose its "Open an Archive..." selection.  There's also a does-everything  program called PowerISO, but it's about $30.00 for the registered version, and the freebie demo only works on files up to 300 Mb, so you couldn't burn a disk of much use with that.

This leads us rather naturally to the question of "Can I burn that WIM folder to a DVD?" And the answer is "not likely - it's 5.6 Gb, and the blank DVD only holds about 4.7 Gb, and my favorite burning program ImgBurn says, "This file is too big for your media, so here's two choices..." And it goes on to describe a couple of possible solutions. I tried both, and all was going along rather well until it discovered a problem in the folder's contents, something about unregistered images, or such, and that brought everything to a screeching halt, following which, a voice from ImgBurn said "OooH, NO!" and it was game over. But I tried, and I'm telling you this to save you some otherwise wasted time. There might be a way to burn that recovery stuff onto a disk, but first we would need a disk that holds more than the standard ones do, and I don't know if there is such a thing - I haven't looked. But I might....

However, there being more than one way to skin a cat, here's a quick solution to saving that folder to some kind of external media. I have a couple of 8-Gb USB drives, so I formatted one for NTFS, and then by the drag-and-drop method, loaded that folder onto it, as the image below shows..... problem solved!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment