Monday, December 9, 2013

It was a tough fight, but I won...

Yesterday morning, I turned this on and nothing happened. Somehow, the Master Boot Record had been trashed overnight. When I shut it down the evening before, it was clean of infections as far as I knew, and was running fine.

Almost a full two days later, I've got it back to more or less where it was on Saturday evening when I shut it down for the night. I have no idea how it got into this mess, but I know a lot more about how to get it out of it now.

One of the nice things I learned during this is that Windows comes with its own built-in boot configuration editor, called Bcdboot.exe and here's where you would find it....(using your admin privileges) 


If, for example, you're trying to repair (or create) a dual-booting setup, you would enter each partition's letter, followed by the word Windows, and press Enter after each one's entry. Give it a moment to show a confirmation before
you enter the next one, and after entering both, type the word exit to quit it.
Then, after a reboot of your computer, you should see a dual-boot page showing you the choices of operating systems to select for use.

And yes, I know about EasyBCD and Easeus Partition Master, but this Command Prompt version cuts to the chase without a lot of distractions, and you don't have to download anything, because Mighty Microsoft builds in right into the 
program for you. All you have to do is find it. And now you know where.

No comments:

Post a Comment