Friday, December 13, 2013

My Windows Experience Index for Windows 8


And here's an important note about this, before I start yapping...

Note

  • The Windows Experience Index base score typically ranges from 1.0 to 7.9. However, if your PC has a 64-bit processor and 4 GB or less random access memory (RAM), then the Memory (RAM) subscore for your PC will have a maximum of 5.9. This means that the overall base score will also be limited to 5.9.


In view of the above, since this is a 64-bit processor with 4 GB of RAM, and it is now over four years old, I think these readings are quite good. Perhaps I should add that the operating systems (2) on here are both 32-bit, but that shouldn't make a lot of difference, because a 64-bit processor can easily handle 32-bit programming. You just can't run 64-bit stuff on a 32-bit system. But I don't want to do that anyway, because the 64-bit stuff requires twice as much RAM to run properly. So I get a lot better bang for my buck by running 32-bit on the 64-bit system. It works for me, and it will for you too.

I ought to mention that shortly after getting this rig, I took it back in for a change of the graphics card, to put in one with 1 GB of its own memory, and that's what makes a big difference in these ratings. So if yours tests with a low score, you can probably improve that with a new graphics card.  And if you're inclined to dabble with Unix or Linux then I recommend an nVidia card, because those work better with operating systems like PC-BSD 9.1. It doesn't like my ATI Radeon HD 5450, and won't run all its graphics features on it. Instead, it switches to its own generic version, which doesn't have the same oomph at all.
Which explains why I switched back to Windows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment