Friday, December 13, 2013

Someday.....

Someday, I'm going to buy a book and learn how this works!
Meanwhile, I continue to be a dedicated fumbler learning from my mistakes.

I mention all that because I have questions. For example, this machine is configured with a dual-boot setup consisting of Windows 7 and Windows 8. If I try to use an Admin Command Prompt to run CheckDisc (chkdsk) on one of the partitions, I get an apology from it saying it couldn't run because there's another process already using this drive. It offers to run at the next restart, presumably before system files get loaded into active memory, but I graciously decline that offer, because I'm not sure how long that whole thing might take before I could use it again. But I'm wondering - are those processes which are preventing chkdsk from running perhaps these time and weather and CPU gadgets on my desktop? These naturally have to call home for updated information or are steadily scanning my system for what's happening. Is that why I can't run the disk checker? I suspect it probably is. And is the answer to this worth $30?

It's going to be much cheaper just to accept CheckDisc's offer to do this during the next reboot.

No comments:

Post a Comment