Thursday, December 19, 2013

Something you may find handy...


Its many features may seem a bit intimidating at first, but take your time, and read the manual you can download as a PDF. And speaking of PDFs, if you're still using Adobe Reader with its large and clunky files, and its tendency toward picking up malware, maybe you should try a smaller and less vulnerable one called SumatraPDF, or just Sumatra for short. It also reads some eBooks.

And if you're worried about the safety of a website, here's an online scanner that may be helpful. But I should mention here that it sometimes has a problem with the "http" or the "www" parts of a URL, and you may have to add or subtract those while getting it to do its thing, instead of showing "Whoops!".
At least they've got a sense of humor. One would assume, though, that an outfit like the famous AVG, while making a website scanner, would make sure that it could recognize a website's address, wouldn't you think?

All of which prompts me to say that this whole internet and computer thing lately has been rapidly losing its charm. There's so much malware out there these days that can't be discovered by our rather expensive security programs that it is taking all the fun out of it. We shouldn't need several specialized or extra security programs on our computers, just to make sure our regular security hasn't missed something, or couldn't remove it and needs help. And some of those specialized ones can chew up parts of your regular programs that you don't want to disable. I found that out yesterday, when one of them removed part of the latest driver update for my graphics card. I'd only got that just a couple of hours before, so I was naturally a little upset. Luckily, it's fixable or I'd really be choked.

But this is the problem. There's a war going on out there, and we're the ones getting caught in the crossfire. And some of the big guys, like Google, who could be doing something about it, are ignoring some of it because they're more into making money from their ads and their snooping. What am I talking about? There's a pop-up lately showing on my Google-operated blog here that says something's wrong with my ".gwt.xml module" and my browser versions on file don't agree with what I'm using.



 Here's what GWT is, and I've never had any of it on my computer. On the other hand, Google has had problems with users reporting difficulties with these pop-ups for years, and still they haven't fixed it. There's nothing you or I can do about that, except to be annoyed by the problem.

The way it's going, the whole internet is going to die in a pile of its own crap, and that's a shame, because it has so much potential, if only.....

No comments:

Post a Comment