Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Website incorrectly rated by McAfee...

Wil Palma in Australia makes an open-source freeware called Winroll, which is one of my favorites, because it can roll up open windows into their title bars to show you other stuff on the screen, and I love it. McAfee's safe surfing program gives it a bum rap, so I checked it with AVG, because I suspected McAfee might be wrong. It's a very simple site, and it is a very basic program, but it works like a charm, and you ought to get it. Here's a couple of screenshots about it....and it works fine in Windows 8, in case you are wondering.


This shows what it can do. You right-click on a window's title bar to collapse it into that bar, and then to restore it to full size, you right-click it again. You can have several open windows on screen and only be working on one, with the others collapsed until you want them. When not in use, it sits in your lower right corner with the other icons, above the clock. A very handy program.



And AVG's on-line scanner says it's quite safe. I knew that, but someone please tell McAfee.... all of which just goes to show you have to be sure of your sources. I've used this little Winroll program for years, and it has always worked just fine in Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, and now Windows 8.  To get yours,
go to this website for it. There is another totally different program also using the word Winroll in its name, so don't be confused. This is the one you want.

Please Note:
I've scanned my Winroll folder with Malwarebytes Pro, and it's clean, just as I expected. It shouldn't be red-flagged by McAfee. They are looking at its executable file, and assuming it is malware, because it isn't packaged as nicely as some others are, but it is clean.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment