Monday, January 6, 2014

Newspapers aren't what they used to be....

Today begins my subscription to the local daily paper after a lapse of several years, during which I've been busy on the computer instead of pestering Dear Editor with a word processor and a fax machine.

There was a time when I was mentioned in one of their articles, about their most frequent letter-writers, because I contributed something by fax almost daily for several years, mostly about political issues of the time. Dear Editor and I made a pretty good team. But that was then, and this is now, and times have really changed.

I opened my paper this morning to be greeted by big ads for things like "Dr. Ho" that I'd quickly flip past in TV commercials, and now I'm wondering if my loyalty to the home-town news publisher was all that wise a decision. One thing that got me wondering was when I activated my digital account, and immediately found myself dealing with some outfit in New York City. Hell, that's not even in my own country. I have a feeling this subscription may not last very long....

No comments:

Post a Comment