Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Solved the mystery of installing PCBSD...



I almost feel like saying "Welcome to PCBSD 9.2" and after two days of trying unsuccessfully for two days to prove that you can boot something like this from an external hard drive, I finally got smarter.

While Windows can't see the files formatted for this program, it doesn't mean you can boot this from an external drive, because when you plug in an external drive, Windows encodes it with a marker which prevents booting from it, no matter whether the stuff on it is Windows material or not. It took me a while to get that through my head, but when I did, things began to happen.

I got Easeus Partition Manager going, and spread apart the two partitions that were dividing this hard-drive, so that I could create another 145 Gb partition in the middle of it, into which the PCBSD was installed. So now, Windows 7 has 250 Gb and Windows 8 has 200 Gb and PCBSD has 145 Gb on here. So all of them have plenty of room. And there's still the 465 Gb external drive to park things on, if needed. And I didn't manage to prove external drives bootable.
Mighty Microsoft took care of that one for me.

But I'm now playing with a program that can give Windows and OS-X a run for their money, and speaking of money, this is a total freebie. In some ways it is a lot like OS-X, in that its accessories and Apps and programs are all made with it in mind, and you choose from handy groups in AppCafe and your selections are downloaded and then automatically installed for you. And there's a nice graphical user's interface, with choices of themes, just like you're accustomed to having in Windows or on your Mac. And like they say in the handbook, there's a lot going on behind the scenes, but "it just works". And it does, too.
I'm doing this on it right now. You should try it.... It's a nice system, and just maybe the future of operating systems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment