Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Windows Experience Index on Windows 8....


This computer is five years old, and it's not running the latest flavor of Windows,
which is 8.1, but it is running Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 SP1, and PCBSD 9.2,
and it still rates better than the above illustration from Microsoft....


...but I really ought to qualify that by saying that this isn't the OEM version of this Acer Aspire X3200, because I've replaced its original graphics card with a better one from ATI, a Radeon HD 5450 with its own built-in memory, and I've also added to the RAM to make that 4 Gb. And I've replaced its monitor with a 30-inch flatscreen TV, so I can watch TV if I get bored with surfing the web. And all that explains why this still kicks ass, and gets the job done. 

At the end of my research on it I answered a survey for Microsoft, and it didn't have a space for additional comments, or I could have told them that I've tried their Windows 8.1, and went back to Windows 8 Pro, because I like it better. But the 8.1 version runs fine on here. I just prefer the other one, because I'm more familiar with it, and I've tweaked it with add-ons I prefer, like 8GadgetPack. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment