Wednesday, January 15, 2014

"We Never Make Misteaks..."

I sit here red-faced with a confession for you - I ain't half as smart as I think I am sometimes.  Or, let's call this "Why I love Windows 7!"

Today's Question Everything being "How do you boot Windows when it can't see its Master Boot Record?" And the answer is: "With great difficulty!" And a lot of  pressing of CTRL-ALT-DEL, until one of your Windows systems realizes there's something terribly wrong, and puts up a scanning screen. 

And I love Windows 7 because its factory-made installation disk includes near its beginning a chance to click on "Repair this...." and that Recovery window includes an item allowing you to run CMD Prompt, with which you can make it all well again by typing two commands:-
Bootrec.exe /fixBoot
Bootrec.exe /fixMBR

And then when you do a Restart, you see your Windows Boot selections, and not just the starting sequence for the PCBSD - which you had installed without making sure you still had a Windows Boot Sector and a Master Boot Record.

And all that is why I sit here red-faced and confessional, thanking Microsoft for putting that recovery information into the Windows 7 installation disk. Every new installation program should have one, even Windows 8, which doesn't have it in the disk I made from their installation ISO files back when. But that's in no way an excuse for my own stupidity. There's no fool like an Old Fool, because you just can't beat Experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment