Thursday, January 2, 2014

What's with Microsoft and its Windows?


Today's Question Everything is: "Are we looking at 'The Decline and Fall of Mighty Microsoft'?" And could this explain the 'Vegetable Soup' approach to their
most recent Windows 8, and its Service Pack One they're calling Windows 8.1?

Did they reach the pinnacle of Windows development with Windows 7? Has it been downhill from there ever since?

If they're losing several of their most experienced Windows execs and the CEO as soon as a suitable replacement is found, where does that leave Windows and those of us anxiously awaiting Windows 9? Mighty Microsoft please respond!

And about Windows 9: Shouldn't we be seeing a public test beta some day soon? I've applied just about all the tweaks I find really useful to Windows 8, and I need something new to play with. Why don't you put everything into the cloud, and then all we need is a browser (and you know whose!) to access it,
and once we log in, we can use all our pre-selected options for the operating system. That way, it becomes truly hardware-independent, and it works on everything, just like you hoped it would. And I don't need a hard-drive big enough to use for a boat anchor. You, on the other hand, need some world-class servers, which you could get if you bought out Google - and I wish you would!
Maybe then, we'd get some of their stuff properly finished off. How do you like the plan so far?

3 comments:

  1. Interesting point Ray. I'm not sure that I'm as ready as you seem to be on moving to the cloud however. If, for example, I take a picture I know where it is and who's using it, as long as it remains on my hard drive...

    Would like you financial and legal documents on someone else's computer? No for me... But, that's only a personal point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just engaging in a little 'brainstorming' there, Tom - that doesn't mean I'm ready to rush to put everything into the cloud.

    There's an old saying that goes: "What's everybody's is nobody's"
    and that's something to worry about.
    I don't trust the honesty and integrity of faceless masses any more than you do. But maybe the brains can find a solution for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, I just read an article in the Jan 2014 issue of Popular Science on this. It's titled "Physicists Create Spyproof Code". It uses a technology called Quantum key distribution (QDD).

    I guess if the key is somehow viewed, it goes away and a new one is required. Interesting stuff...

    ReplyDelete