Saturday, April 26, 2014

In the news....




While I was looking at this picture of the solitary sister kneeling devoutly before all that man-made splendor, something made me think about Biblical references to Scribes and Pharisees, and that in turn led me to St. Matthew, Chapter 23. It's a very instructive chapter, not only for what it says about Scribes and Pharisees, but also what it says in verses 9 through 12:-
"And call no one on earth, father, for one is your Father in heaven. Nor be called leaders, for one is your leader, the Christ. But he who is greatest among you, let him be your servant. For whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted."

I wish I'd been more interested in things of this nature before I took my instructions to become a Catholic back in the 1950s. Am I proof that 'fools rush in where angels fear to tread'? I guess the moral of the story here is to do your homework and look before you leap, and apparently, I should have done more homework beforehand, rather than after.
But there's a reason for everything, so perhaps it's all part of the learning process... 

2 comments:

  1. "But he who is greatest among you, let him be your servant."
    When I read that, my first thought was dubba being my servent. That sounds great...

    "But there's a reason for everything, so perhaps it's all part of the learning process..."
    I think this is called; with age comes wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was much younger, I thought I had all the answers. Now I realize that I don't even have all the questions.

    And I hope you're right about age bringing wisdom. I can sure use more of that.

    ReplyDelete