Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Is Emma overacting?


Sorry, Emma, but there's no Oscar for hamming it up to the fourth estate. And those of us who consider popular social media like Twitter or Facebook to be a
bit juvenile, shallow, and flippant are of course not obliged to use it.

I just Googled myself, and none of the several results are me. That suits me just fine. I don't use Twitter, in part because as that famous author once said, "In six pages, I can't even say 'hello'..." And I'm not on Facebook, because I do this blog, where I express myself, and where others may comment on it if they wish.

I realize that people are social animals, and feel more comfortable as part of the herd, but I've never been all that comfortable in a herd environment. For one thing, the herd mentality tends toward its lowest common denominator, and things get 'dumbed down' to suit those with an I.Q. about twice their belt size.
And generally speaking, you can't learn a hell of a lot if you aren't being challenged to reach a little beyond your comfort zone. A healthy sense of curiosity and wonder is a lot better for you than a soft cushion among the herd.
But don't take my word for it. I'm just a high school dropout who admires Mark Twain who once said, "I've never let my schooling interfere with my education."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment