Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Pharmaceutically Speaking....


These pharmaceutical companies are the 21st century version of gold mining prospectors and developers, and this is partly the reason my medications cost up to $3.00 per capsule. Sure, these 'miracle drugs' can turn a rubber chicken into a crowing rooster, but only if you've got the means to pay for them.



And today's Question Everything is: "How will this deal affect the content or availability of my favorite 'doctor book'?" This is a world-class reference and I hope it will be continued. The above shows my old original copy - there's a newer revision out now, so see your favorite book seller.

Please Note:
I took my own advice, and saw my favorite book seller, and ordered the latest incarnation of this. It is now called 'The Merck Manual Home Health Handbook Third Home Edition' and the price is $49.99 Cdn. This is the hardcover edition.
And in about three weeks, mine ought to arrive, if the stagecoach isn't attacked by hostile buckskins, and the horses don't go lame, and they don't lose my phone number. Prompting me to wonder: "Why isn't this an eBook?" My 30-inch TV and Monitor shows me a much bigger page than any hardcover book on the rack, and the pictures would be larger too.

Note Two:
Just discovered Merck books are on the web, if you click this link. It's a public service by Merck.

2 comments:

  1. Did you get FREE shipping and that's why it's arriving by stagecoach? Looks like a good book but I don't think I can afford it.....(Now if it had a centerfold?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I got the free shipping... and I'm not sure what's going on with Indigo lately. My sales slip describes it as a Kiosk, and the store itself looks more chaotic than I've ever seen it. Where customers formerly lined up at three or four cash registers, they've now got a couple of display tables making that much more awkward, and this book, instead of being in stock in this huge bookstore had to be ordered in from a central warehouse, probably back east somewhere. That's not how we spell 'performance'.

    And good news - Merck provides these manuals on the Internet free of charge (Now they tell me!) if you go to http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/
    So check that out!

    ReplyDelete