Saturday, June 28, 2014

Another problem solved....


There were some of my pictures in a folder in Windows 8 that I wanted to move here into PC-BSD to use for backgrounds on the desktop, but I can't just drag and drop them or transfer them easily from there to here, as I can between Windows 8 and Windows 7, because this system uses a whole other formatting of its portion of the drive, and the one system can't 'talk' to the other. The solution is to use my own form of "the cloud" - email the stuff from one system to myself, and then reboot into the other system to read the mail, and save it to a folder. So I now have my Windows 8 backgrounds in PC-BSD, and another problem is solved.


And right after you download the latest version of the O/S, get this PDF of the Users Handbook. Life among Windows users would be infinitely easier if Mighty Microsoft  had ever issued instructions like this for their various operating systems, instead of forcing us to figure them out by trial and error or by asking questions in those gawd-awful forums where ignorance rules supreme, or by pestering someone with real knowledge but insufficient time to hold our hands.

One of the reasons I really like PC-BSD is that there's a lot of basic information available on it right in the Handbook, and no matter what time of day or night, you can always "read the directions" and usually find your own answers. And if you do go into one of their forums, it has people on there who aren't there just to play 'Silly Buggers" with the newbies, and I also appreciate that a lot. We're actually trying to help one another. You could get to like this a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment