Sunday, June 1, 2014

Let's talk security programs for a minute...

While I was wrapping up that previous post a while back, I got a notification from one of my security programs that it had blocked a malicious website's attempted entry into my computer from IP Address 193.105.134.170 and I looked that up with a search program which locates such addresses, and it is located in Sweden, and the information given about it is very uninformative, as one might assume.

We've often been advised, usually by big-name anti-virus companies, that we shouldn't run more than one security program at a time, because these can conflict with each other. That might have been true five or ten years ago, but it isn't generally the case today. Quite the contrary; it's a situation now where these security programs are more or less specialized in the kinds of malware they can recognize and neutralize. Some are good at finding viruses, some are good at finding spyware and adware, and some are designed to operate on a behavioral recognition feature set, and called zero-day protection, because they
don't need to rely on a database which requires frequent updating to keep it effective. I have more than one security program on here, and they don't conflict. They function as advertised, and that's why I'm able to tell you that I
know what just tried to get into my computer, and where it came from, and why it wasn't successful. And I'm passing this along so you can think about improving your own protection. Because an ounce of prevention is still worth a pound of cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment