Monday, July 7, 2014

He's standing in a window because.....


...This is all 'window-dressing'!

There's no way that anyone mumbling a few pious phrases in Latin or Italian or any other language can undo what's been done or 'unscar' these victims and anyone with an I.Q. larger than his belt size knows this.

The problem arises because a Roman Catholic priest is a surrogate Christ to his flock, and for some, assuming the authority of God in religious matters goes to their heads, and they start believing they can do no wrong. So they do things they shouldn't, because they can get away with it, or so they think. And the fatal flaw in all of that is that no mere mortal should, through any kind of twisted logic, conjure up excuses to pretend any kind of equality with our God.
Our God is our God because none of us can possibly qualify for the position,
and it's abundantly clear and painfully obvious why that is. And no kind of liturgical hocus-pocus, fancy uniform, pungent incense, or song and dance is going to turn homo erectus into God Almighty.

Here's what the George M. Lamsa translation from the Aramaic of the Peshitta
says in Exodus 20, beginning at verse 1:-

And God spoke all these words, saying, I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
You shall have no other gods except me.
You shall not make for yourself any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above or that is in the earth beneath or that is in the water under the earth; You shall not worship them nor serve them; for I the Lord your God am a zealous God, visiting the offenses of the fathers upon their children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me; 
And showing mercy to thousands of generations of those who love me  and keep my commandments.
You shall not take a false oath in the name of the Lord your God; for the Lord will not declare him innocent who takes an oath in his name falsely.

That's the first seven verses in Exodus, Chapter 20, and there doesn't seem to be much 'wiggle room' in there for misinterpretation or 'creative theology'. And I wish I'd had this translation of the Peshitta when I was in my twenties and trying to decide on the particular brand of religion to follow. My choice would very likely have been different...but on the other hand, it's been educational, and a useful experience. Perhaps, one I was meant to have, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment