Sunday, July 6, 2014

Top Ten Browsers - 2014


(And you probably should.)

If you use Firefox, you should get this Better Privacy Add-on. It works, and you can configure it to do its thing with the rest of the 'clear history' features. I like Firefox, but I also like Chrome and Opera and SeaMonkey.  Chrome and SeaMonkey are both ported for PC-BSD now, and all of the above are more user-friendly than Mighty Microsoft's Internet Explorer, and I don't understand why that is. 

You'd imagine 35,000 Microsofters could come up with a better browser than they have. On the other hand, these are the guys who gave us Vasta Vista, from which some of us are still recovering! The nightmares are subsiding, but I still get the occasional one every now and then...especially when someone tries to talk me into upgrading my Windows 8 Pro to that latest 'service pack' they call Windows 8.1. They should leave well enough alone. Windows 8 Pro with two or three available freebie add-ons, can kick the hell out of the 8.1 without half trying, and mine does. There's even an add-on made in Germany that can restore the native Aeroglass features of Windows 7 to it, if you like.
However, I understand that this one is no longer a freebie. I tried it out while it was, but I dumped it again, because it seemed to be slowing down the system. But there are ways of dressing up Windows 8 to overcome a lot of the complaints users had with the unvarnished original, if you look around. I've mentioned these in this blog in previous postings.

No comments:

Post a Comment