Wednesday, August 6, 2014

I get invitations to download Windows 8.1....

And here's why I'm politely procrastinating....


This is my present Windows 8, with Desktop Gadgets, Aeroglass transparency, and several other customizing tweaks, including my own homemade icons. It has goodies already that I couldn't get by switching to Windows 8.1. And I like it just the way it is....

I have some suggestions for Windows 9, in case Sally or anyone else down at Microsoft in Redmond might be interested. And one thing I'd like is to be able to access Windows files from the operating system of PC-BSD. There's a program for adapting Windows programs to the Unix-based PC-BSD (or FreeBSD) but I've never had much success getting it to work properly, and I think maybe there might be a better way, if we could find something to let the different formats read and write one another. Or maybe exchange images or files via the cloud.
I can email something to myself from one and download that into the other, but that's a bit of a nuisance. Too bad Home Group couldn't do it.

And how about a feature for automatically cleaning up junk files in both the User and Windows Temp folders? Maybe as part of Disc Defrag? And something to make running programs unhook faster during reboots and shutdowns, so it doesn't take more than a minute for it, while the default is 30 seconds. If I set Shutdown.exe in Windows\system32 for /r /f /t 015 meaning restart, force-close any open programs, and do that in 15 seconds, why does it take a minute and ten to complete it? Color me baffled.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment