Monday, August 4, 2014

Internet and Service Providers...


First, today's Question Everything: If this guy has a wireless router, why is he plugging in an RJ45 wired Internet cable? Doesn't he have a wireless USB device plugged into his computer to automatically link it to the router? 

But I digress. The best Internet Service Provider is the one who gives you good speed ( test yours here!) and doesn't choke your bandwidth, and is a nice helpful guy like mine is. And you should be so lucky. I have 6 Mb for $40/month
and no throttling, and the folks who run it couldn't be nicer.



3 comments:

  1. "If this guy has a wireless router, why is he plugging in an RJ45 wired Internet cable? Doesn't he have a wireless USB device plugged into his computer to automatically link it to the router?"

    Ray, I have both wired and wireless here. If I am streaming video or downloading large files, wireless just can't match the speed of a hard-wired connection.

    Hence, the picture makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for explaining this, Tom.

    I only have a wired system, so I know nothing about wireless, except for whatever people like yourself tell me about it.

    I haven't tried a tablet to use in bed or wherever, because I wonder about privacy on a wireless network. I think it's encrypted, but I'm not sure. Could the nearby neighbors in an apartment block evesdrop on me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wireless by itself if left alone, is not protected in anyway. However, you can establish all sorts of security on it. You can even specify down to what MAC address will be allowed to access it.

    If you're not sure what a MAC address is, it's a UNIQUE physical address for each and every network device built.

    ReplyDelete