Saturday, August 9, 2014

Speeding up my Startup Time....


This is an older version of this handy "does everything" one-click fixer-upper, and the reason I reverted to it is because the newer one says my Startup Time is 2 minutes and 40 seconds, and is "very slow". So I've just improved my Startup Time by a minute and 59 seconds simply by dumping the latest version of this program, and reverting to this one from four months ago. 

Lately this program has been updated almost every month, and each new revision adds over 1,000 Kb to its file size. At that rate, it's going to take over the whole machine eventually, and there will be nothing else on it to tune up!
This is where I go into Control Panel -> Programs and Features and look down the list for this one, and select "Uninstall". And that's too bad, really, because it does do a nice job of finding and removing empty Registry entries and other useless junk on your computer.  But lately, they've been fancying it up with stuff like a feature that periodically interrupts your Start-up procedure with a feature that wants to perform a complete defragmenting of your drive, unless you quickly "Press any key" to stop it. I find that a damned nuisance!

Windows has its own disk defragmentation feature built-in, but my own personal choice is neither Windows nor Glarysoft's versions, but rather this one from Auslogics. Like other freebies, though, they do their best to tempt you into going for something pricier than the freebie version. Resist - the freebie does the job without any added 'bloatware' or extraneous superfluity. Remember the old 'Kiss' principle: "Keep It Simple, Stupid!" - And this one works very well, and very quickly, especially if you use it about once a week. I like it, because I can watch the little jumping squares change from red (fragmented) to other colors indicating not fragmented. 

I tend to be suspicious of processes I can't see, like those of a gastrointestinal or background nature, so this one grabs me. The ones that "do-everything-with-one-click" are more and more becoming programs which do things you probably didn't want or need done just now, begging the question of "Who's running this damned thing anyway?" So you need to be careful, and make sure you understand what they're going to do, before you get a nasty surprise.

Auslogics Disk Defrag - Before and After - in Windows 8.....


Please note how quickly this completed its task. Win-8 on here totals 31 Gb of files, and it defragmented all that in 54 seconds.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment