Sunday, August 3, 2014

Ten years and counting: Me and Computers

Should I regale you with my frightful introduction to computering ten years ago this month? Probably not. Suffice it to say I knew nothing, and so got ripped off for an old used Dell Optiplex with Windows 98SE on it, by a couple of sharpies at a used computer store in a mini mall here.

The one really good thing in all that was the special deal I got on Internet service from an ISP over on Vancouver Island, and that literally saved my ass.
Almost everything I know about computers I owe to Bob Stevens at B.C. Supernet. I didn't know any better than pick up the phone and call him when I'd crashed my mysterious newly-acquired old computer, and Bob instead of suggesting I call a local servicemologist at $120 an hour said, "Sit down at your computer, and tell me what you see..." And there began my education.

And thanks to Bob and his expert teaching and his patience with this old 'newbie' and his inspiration to keep on learning about it, I'm now able to give others a few lessons myself. So if you read this, Bob, again my sincere thanks.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment