Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pink Floyd, or what's left of it, coming soon...


I've always liked Pink Floyd. My first 'in living color' trip as a midnight astronaut sampling 'the good stuff' with Rocky, the Friendly Neighborhood Witch, was greatly enhanced by 'Dark Side' in Surround Sound. I vividly remember it yet.
I can draw you a color reproduction of parts of that flight, a spherical spacecraft with the upper half a transparent dome from which I could see everything, and
a small foreign planet upon which very tall transmission towers wirelessly exchanged bursts of laser-like energy, and coming home in that little craft, with the real sense that I was returning from a long and futile battle, during which I had been wounded and repaired with bionics, and as I'm approaching my final destination, a huge domed city-like structure, I can look down into it and recognize everyone I have ever known. I land the craft in an airlock on the edge of it, walk inside, and everyone is holding up their glasses in a toast to my arrival safely home - and Rocky says, "Ray! Ray! - Wake Up, Ray!..." and I look at her standing there in that floor-length robe looking concerned, and I ask, "Rocky, have you any idea where I've been for the past half hour?" And she gave me a knowing smile, and said,"No, but I can guess....and after you finish coming down, you must tell me all about it."  I did better than that. I drew her a picture in living color with my oil pastels.

She looked at that picture and said, "WOW! You really did have a trip, didn't you?" And I said, "Yes, My Dear, I really did."

But I'm digressing again.....Pink Floyd hasn't been the real thing since the second of its original four left the group in 1985. What we've got now is nothing more than a limp-dicked geriatric gold-mining operation, which should be put out of its misery, because it's not even a decent ghost of Christmases Past. And I have 20 albums from Christmases Past of theirs to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment