Saturday, September 13, 2014

Supermarketing...

Our biggest supermarket in this part of town is now thoroughly multicult, and many of the staff originated in Persia. Additionally, right now the supermarket and its attached minimall are undergoing a much-needed 'facelift' of the exteriors, with barriers, tape, and equipment littering the formerly just busy lot.
So we tend to get a little tense sometimes in all that confusion, and something to lighten the mood is always appreciated....

I'm in the line for the '15 items or less' checkout yesterday, with Amir running the cash, and his vibrant little gal-pal, also from Persia, parceling. She, as usual, is babbling away at someone over her shoulder at the next register, and 
one bit of the conversation caught my ear: "...and you have to be either a Cat or a Dog person - you can't be something else!..."

So I turned to the cute little Iranian gal ahead of me, and asked, "Tell me, please - Do I really have to be a Cat or a Dog person? Why couldn't I be a Raccoon Person, or a Monkey Person, or Dog-Humps-Football Person?...."
And after the laughter subsides, Amir says, "Ray! You're Back!"....

I replied, "Yes, Fellow Believers, Lawrence of Suburbia has arrived! Cast off your chains, saddle up your Camels, and let's get this show on the road! Millions of Infidels out there are desperately in need of our services!" And Amir smiles and says, "Speak for yourself, Lawrence, - I'm Zoroastrian!"  And I said, "Aha! That explains the scorch marks on your ass! You've been jumping over the fire again, haven't you?" And he asked, "You know about that?" And I replied, "Yes, My Son, I know about that. Stay well, my friend..." 

Who needs a Social Life? I have a supermarket right in the neighborhood... 

No comments:

Post a Comment