Saturday, October 25, 2014

Mighty Microsoft...


The company as a whole is still turning a profit, but its Windows is taking a kicking, because the world is not amused by Windows 8 and its Service Pack called Windows 8.1. "Why not?", you ask. Let me counter that with another question: "Do you think Microsoft has been in business long enough to have already figured out how to make an Operating System that does what its users expect of it, or not?" And the answer seems to be "not". And most of us find that very disturbing, because we can't figure out how a group of people who created a wonderful Operating System like Windows 7 could then turn right around and bring out an abortion like Windows 8. That's our problem, Kiddies.

I hasten to add that I like my Windows 8, but to get it to that point, I had to spend hours searching the web for third-party add-ons and then testing them and selecting the useful ones and discarding the others, until I got the right mixture of Microsoft and "Brand X" working well together. And I shouldn't have to work that hard to get a new Operating System up and running reliably and equipped with enough useful features to make it comfortable and convenient.
That's supposed to be happening at Microsoft, isn't it? I enjoy fluffing up Windows, but that's not really my job. Windows ought to come out of its box ready to kick ass, without serious modifications or add-ons, or tweaking with programs like Ultimate Windows Tweaker. Too bad it doesn't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment