Saturday, November 15, 2014

Correction! I was wrong yesterday....

Please forget what I said yesterday about C:/Windows/Assembly/Native Images/v4.0.30319_32.  That's not what stops those prompts about updating to Windows 8.1 - it's really about the Dot NET 4.0, and my apologies for that. The folder I deleted was automatically re-created later in the afternoon yesterday, so no lives were lost, and everything continued to work fine.

I did more homework on this, and found someone with other instructions:-





And again, my apologies for giving the wrong information yesterday. The moral of the story being that I ought to double-check my advice before offering it. And I'm not yet as smart as I'd like to be.... but I'm trying.

When you get to the line saying: "Turn off the offer...." and you double-click it, you are taken to a new window, where you make the changes....



After you do your thing in that last window, and click "Apply" and "OK", you can close those windows, and you shouldn't be bothered by those big blue banners across the screen twisting your arm to upgrade to Windows 8.1. With Win-10 almost upon us, it seems rather pointless to go to all the trouble of changing to another operating system just now.

Microsoft likes us to think it's quick and quite painless, but I've done this once or twice already, to test it out, and there's "no free lunch". Sure,you get the newly updated O/S, and it saves your  personal files that are inside your Libraries - BUT: You're going to have to manually re-install all those convenient third-party "freebies" we all love, and that's a definite "pain in the ass", especially if you have as many of those as I have on here. And as I've said, some or most of those "freebies" have already solved most of the popular complaints people have had with Windows 8 - so I don't really need Microsoft's help with all that. I prefer to wait for Windows 10. And if you haven't yet switched over to Win-8.1, I suggest you also wait. Why make extra work for ourselves, when Win-10 is practically here already?

No comments:

Post a Comment