Thursday, November 13, 2014

My other computer today....

This is my "other computer" - the older, quad-core one. I haven't used it for weeks, and so when I powered it up this morning, it took about three hours to get everything updated and back into proper condition for using it again.

This one is a dual boot, with Windows 7 on one partition, and Windows 8 on the other. I had a hell of a time getting Windows 7 updated with its Windows Updates today. It took me four attempts before I finally got all of the updates to install correctly, and only then after running the Troubleshooter and repairing the Windows Update feature. All of that accounted for about an hour and a half.
And then I had another fun time with Windows 8, and it ended up by giving me one optional update at the end of the regular set - and that last one, I think was to prepare this Windows 8 Pro for upgrading to Windows 8.1. After it had been installed and rebooted to configure it, there suddenly appeared a wide blue band across the screen, with a whole lot of bullshit about Windows 8.1, and how it was nearly ready for me, but I wouldn't be able to use this for 30 to 45 minutes while the updating was done. Beneath all that, there's a little button to choose to "Ask me later" or "Wait for 'x' minutes". I opted for "Later". I don't really want Windows 8.1. Windows 10 is on the doorstep, so why would I? Let's wait and bypass Windows 8.1 altogether, and go directly to Win-10, shall we?

Why don't I want Windows 8.1? Because I've already found third-party fixes for the more aggravating annoyances built into Windows 8, and I'm quite happy with my own solutions to the problems. I don't need Microsoft's version of fixes.
I think my own choices are more sensible, quite frankly, and I'm not about to trash those for something less convenient. Sorry, Microsoft - you can't talk me into Windows 8.1. Save your arm-twisting for Win-10....


Does your Windows 8.1 look as good as my Windows 8 ? I doubt it....

No comments:

Post a Comment