Monday, November 10, 2014

Russian Vodka: The rest of the story



I was addicted to good Russian Vodka for over twenty years, until my tolerance for it built up to the point where I was drinking a full 26-oz. bottle daily, and at that point, I did something stupid, and lost my job. It was the best thing that ever happened to me, because I had nothing left to do but work on my problem.

I spent three months in a facility we lovingly referred to as "The Funny Farm" learning how to kick the habit and still face the world without feeling like I'd rather shoot myself. After I "graduated" I got my former job back, and unlike too many others who go through all that, I did stay sober, and I still am, and it is now 44 years later. 

I still love Russian Vodka, but these days, I love it from a safe distance! However, on very special occasions, like a birthday, I do allow myself one very carefully made Vodka Collins, with genuine Russian Vodka, a good Collins Mix, a dash of Grenadine for color, and some extra sugar to reduce the 'bite'. And it still makes the world look a whole lot more livable, even though I probably shouldn't be telling you this.

No comments:

Post a Comment