Saturday, November 15, 2014

Windows 10 Technical Preview: Color me disappointed...

I downloaded the ISO file, made the DVD, and tried three times to get it to install, and each time, it got right to the bitter end, and then popped up a message that it couldn't do it, and was reverting me to my previous system. Luckily, it did that right, and my stuff still works...


I'd be bad-mouthing Mighty Microsoft for a week if anything had happened to my PC-BSD 10, but it happens to use a special format that Windows can't read, so it's safe.

The Windows forums on the topic of "failing to install" mention possibly corrupt files, and other things, like "try deleting such-and-such a folder..." but I'm not too comfy with that, because I have three operating systems on here, and I don't want to accidentally disable any of them just for the sake of a freebie experimental version of Windows 10. 

But I do have to admit I'm curious, and I'd like to have a look at it in action.
I'm wondering if maybe it couldn't complete its installation because it was unable to decide where it ought to go, with the choices being onto the partitions for either Windows 8, or Windows 7. Other Windows installer disks usually have a choice shown early in the install procedure, for choosing which partition to go into, when there's more than one, but this didn't have anything like that. And that surprised me, because I expected it would. I don't understand how they could have missed including it, when it's such an obvious part of the process. Surely, I can't be the last guy in the world with more than one operating system on his hard-drive! I've heard of guys with four, so my three isn't even a record.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment