Friday, December 5, 2014

A few notes, in my guise of 'Oldest Living Blogger'...

That 'handle' of 'Oldest Living Blogger' goes back to my earliest days as a 'newbie' at all this, when I had my first blog on a local community blogging site, and all the other motormouths on there were so much younger and hipper and more 'with it' than I. I thought, "What the Hell? Let's call a spade a spade and let it all hang out!" I not only held my own with those young hotshots, but in the end I was the one who made that blogging site semi-famous, and got us written up in USA Today by a gal named Carla Johnson, who was at the time working in Chicago with the Associated Press. She stumbled onto our blog site one day, and decided to do a freelance article on 'Older Bloggers', and when it was finished, she got it published in USA Today, to the great surprise and delight of all of us here.

And I'm digressing again. Old Farts do that. In a survey for Windows Insiders, one question was about music, asking "What's your favorite artist or group?" and I hedged, saying "No special one - I like a variety." That's true. But just because I'm older than the discovery of nuclear fission, it doesn't mean I should be restricted to funeral dirges, or hits of the Roaring Twenties! (I really do enjoy music from the Roaring Twenties though....it was surprisingly lively for those times, and Cyndi Lauper has had a couple of hits she 'borrowed' from artists of back then...) But back to that survey question: The three vids posted below here, and chosen in reverse order, are all by Enigma. I like them. They're maybe a more evolved 'Pink Floyd', who, alas, became in effect defunct in the mid-eighties with the departure from the group of the second member of the four-man team. Since then, what we've had is basically two old faded stars, doing the inevitable 'gold-mining' of their audience in order to fatten up their 'golden years' regurgitating material better done by the full group in its prime. Who the hell are they kidding? None of us who were there from Day One, that's for damned sure!

Am I "Hooked on Rock"? Nah! I also like Anitra's Dance, and French Piano Music, and Chet Atkins and Les Paul, and Dame Cleo Laine, and The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, and surprisingly, some of the vocals of Lady Gaga! (Honest to God, I didn't know that kid could actually sing! I thought her claim to fame was those crazy costumes. So even at my age, I'm still learning!) And speaking of learning, when we stop, we're probably dead. As Dear Abby once said, "The trick to life is to stay alive until you die." Too many of us are already dead from the ass in both directions long before anyone makes it official.

And before I wrap up my tastes in music, I'm also a big fan (and sustaining member) of Pacific Lutheran University's "KPLU.org" and its "Jazz24" which I highly recommend to all you music lovers out there in cyberspace. You can't eat it, wear it, smoke it, drink it, or paint it, but it makes nice listening on days when the world at large leaves a dark brown taste in your mouth.....

No comments:

Post a Comment