Monday, December 1, 2014

Build 9879, better dressed. The RAM useage is better too.


Here's my latest re-install of Windows Technical Preview, dressed up with some of my many favorite programs, including PhotoStudio 5.5 which, if you look at the fine print above the red band along the bottom of its splash screen, dates from 2003. I've tried Gimp, and Paint.NET, but this is still "old faithful" for me. But speaking of Paint.NET, it has the greatest collection of plug-ins in this half of the galaxy. One of those that I really like will turn the lower parts of an image into a lake, complete with the effects of waves and wind, according to how you select its options. So, for example, you can submerge your favorite bikini model in water that she'd never go near in real life.

But I'm digressing again - Yes, PhotoStudio works, Irfanview works (Did you know that it can edit any picture it displays, as well as creating slideshows, and doing batch resize/renames?) and IcoFX works, in case you want to make your own icons, like most of those on the left of this desktop. I hope the folks at Mighty Microsoft don't get carried away and change all this before they turn this system loose on the faceless unwashed masses.... I like it fine just like this....

Well, maybe tweak a couple of things, but don't give it any grand overhaul. Remember, "If it works, don't fix it!" It's the stuff that doesn't quite work that we're here looking for. Like why can't I pin desktop shortcuts directly to the Taskbar? Especially the ones I made myself.... Why do I have to "Pin to Start" and then "Pin to Taskbar"? Isn't that an extra step we don't need? Just wondering... But these are what someone called "sweating the details" - and yes, that's not such a bad idea. The Devil is in the details, after all... and we do want this one to fly higher and further and faster than its parents did, don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment