Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Meanwhile, Back in Windows Technical Preview....

I'm the kind of guy who just can't leave 'well enough' alone. I love tinkering with the status quo! So today......

...I added the latest DirectX to Windows Technical Preview.  And no, Sports Fans, it wasn't already in there. Don't ask me why, because I haven't a clue! "So why did you do it then?" you ask. Because, I also love Winamp, that great audio and video player that's now in limbo, God only knows why, and the version I'm carefully preserving needs..... that's right! - DirectX - to play its visualizations which look fantastic in full screen on a 30-inch display....



...and these screens just don't do it justice, because of course these images are constantly changing in time with the music. During which, I noticed that for very brief moments as these patterns were switching from one series to another, I could see the desktop icons briefly flashing into view. So I added this......



....which is a small little 'freebie' program that hides the desktop's icons using mouse-clicks you choose in its config window.  It works great - but of course it doesn't hide Desktop Gadgets. For that, you need '7 Sidebar' included in the many gadgets from 8GadgetPack, mentioned previously. It has a feature for hiding all the gadgets. And then your screen is uncluttered, and you can enjoy those Visualizations with Winamp.


I sent in some screenshots of that today to Microsoft, suggesting, like others, that we do, in fact, need a new Windows Media Player, because most of us do use "something else" - and I'm suggesting they buy Winamp and re-brand it, and keep this wonderful player going, because The Good Shouldn't Die Young! 


And before I rush off, I must add that these full-screen visualizations make a great desktop background while you're still using your Windows. You don't have to stop working just because these are playing, as I discovered today. So these make really neat "living wallpaper" on your screen. (Told you, I love to tinker!)
Want proof about working while visualizations play?......


 


2 comments:

  1. Ray...You better watch out...one of these days you're going to hit little wingding and "POOF"...you're going to disappear...He-he...You kill me Ray...with all these tweeks and twurns...Last night I tried to fall asleep but my shoulder ached and so I decided to rub some salve (Icey-Hot) on it and take two pain pills which normally put me to sleep...NOT last night...I just lay there with my wave machine droning in my ear...but never went to sleep...Boy this coffee tastes good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Uncle Ron, I really wish you could have had the treatment I got for that prostate cancer. I really worry about you, and it doesn't help, because I can't do anything to improve things, damn it!
    But believe me, I wish, and I pray.
    I don't believe in a lot of the fables we get from various religions but I do believe in prayer. I do believe God hears and responds, and I fervently hope God helps you, my friend.

    And you're right - one of these days, I just might go "Poof!"in a big cloud of purple smoke and the smell of burning electronic equipment :>)
    Enjoy your coffee, Old Friend!

    ReplyDelete