Friday, December 12, 2014

More "Oldest Living Blogger"... 'n stuff.

I was just prying myself loose from old computer about nine last evening, when the power went off. Luckily, both PCs were off by then, so they wouldn't be hurt by any possible surges or drags if things flickered and failed to return properly.
And that's what happened, too. Parts of the neighborhood are still in the dark as
I write this at twenty to four of a Friday morning.

I enjoy things like this. Why? Because it's no longer me who has to go out on stormy nights to fix the problem. And today's fixer-uppers aren't nearly as quick to get with it as we usually were. Maybe they have nicer bosses these days, or maybe this is Hydro's way of helping conserve electricity. I don't know for sure.

After lighting a few candles, and thinking how cosy and romantic it was, I was standing at the window, basking in the glow of reflected light from the clouds above the rest of the city, when suddenly, our whole neighborhood lit up again, like the proverbial Christmas Tree. Impressive! But not for long. Before I could turn away from the window, the lights flickered once and went out again. And as the neighborhood once more was plunged into darkness, and my eyes are again adjusting to it, I saw three brilliant blue flashes of light off in the distance, among a stand of trees across the freeway, near the river. Those were spaced about the right number of seconds apart to have been the three attempts usually made by a feeder circuit's automatic reclosers, trying to re-energize a line that is in trouble. And the trees in that area were likely the problem, because we had a wind storm last evening. It's still dying down as I write this.

The wind and the power outage made me recall a hurricane-force wind storm we had here on December 15th, 2006, almost eight years to the day from this less-intense blow last evening. During that one, trees and their branches were contacting power lines all over the neighborhood, making a very scary light show from my vantage point 16 floors above all that. There were many of those brilliant blue flashes, accompanied by deep-noted 'growling' noises during those arcs to ground from the lines. Our power was off for nearly a week that time. So, comparatively speaking, this isn't nearly as bad. But I'm hearing the emergency generator running at the condo complex across the back street, and someone's using a chainsaw in another stand of trees to the west of here, in West Vancouver, and apparently they haven't yet found the spot where those blue flashes I saw earlier were coming from. There's a power line running along beside a hiking trail that follows the west side of the Capilano River up through that forested area toward the Salmon Hatchery, and since you can't drive easily to a lot of that, our pampered Patrolman probably hasn't got to it yet. He didn't do the lines along our back street last evening until we'd been in the dark for about an hour and a half, and that, as we used to say, just isn't "Performance".

Speaking of "Performance", here's what we get from Mission Control of PC-BSD when we're plugged in and needing an update.... after it labors a while for you...


And they promise to completely update your operating system quarterly, with a whole new release. And where did Microsoft get the idea for "fast" and "slow" issuances of test betas? Likely from these guys, because they've been using much the same sort of arrangement for a while now, depending on whether you want reliability or would rather live on the edge with quirky new features. Two separate schemes for updating your system, as you've chosen for it. And when these updates come along, I don't have to move a muscle. I can just sit back and watch, as they roll in as downloads, and then are automatically installed, followed by the word "done" after each new entry on the list. I think this is probably the future of operating systems. The idea that "it just works".

"Performance" Part Two...

I must be getting old. I can re-install an operating system or re-format a hard-drive and have things running again quite quickly, but when there's a power outage that kills the VCR and TV and the fancy digital answering-machine phone, I have to dig into a big plastic bag full of User Manuals to "Read The Directions" for all that. I wonder why they couldn't make all that automatic? If we can idiot-proof things like cars or, microwave ovens, why not VCRs, TVs, and answering-machine phones?  Am I just hard to please? Or do I have too much stuff? (Survey says: "Yes" and "Yes")

5 comments:

  1. Ray...
    You're really a great writer...A lot of what you talk about would be very dull if written by someone else...But you make it interesting...You have "The Gift of Gab"...
    I played some snooker last night at a bar renamed "the Throttle"...The new owner had a grand opening last night...He had two bands...They were loud...But he had some Buffalo wings and macaroni and cheese casserole to eat ...I had two beers also...There were some bikers there so I'm thinking he's trying to turn his bar into a biker bar...He's got plenty of parking space for them...Could turn out to be interesting...The old name of the place was "The Hole in the Wall"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a lot of practice writing, during the days years ago when we were trying to replace some crooked politicians with some less-bent ones, and I was firing off perspicacious and pithy and tightly worded faxes to Dear Editor every morning based on the latest news.

    But I appreciate your saying that I'm good with words. I'm part Irish after all, and in Ireland a writer is looked upon as a failed conversationalist. But speaking of writing, I think some of the better stuff is done like a conversation directed at your readers. And as Stephen King says at the beginning of his list of about 22 tips for writers, "First write for yourself, and then worry about the audience." You're telling yourself the story, and the audience is listening in, as it were.

    Around here, living alone as I do, I'm often talking to myself, or "nobody in particular" because it's allowed, it's fun, and maybe even therapeutic. Talking back to some idiot on TV is much better than kicking the cat, for example.

    And I love to write. I discovered long ago that sitting down to a keyboard and hammering away on the keys does something to spur my creative juices and get the old brain going. I can think of things while at the keyboard which would probably never occur to me if I were doing something else, because I'm suddenly trying to say something I'll enjoy telling, or something interesting or helpful for readers. If it puts you to sleep, I've failed miserably, and ought to be ashamed of myself.

    "The old name of the place was "The Hole in the Wall" ". Wasn't there a famous gang of desperados in the old west called "The Hole in the Wall Gang"? Or was that in a movie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was a movie but I'm not sure...I found a recipe on Facebook for Hamburger Soup...My niece (Amy) up in Chicago posted it...My brother John and his sons, Joe and Chip are avid deer hunters and have ground venison in 1-1/2 lb. plastic bags in their freezer...They let me have as much as I can use...so I made the soup with venison hamburger...It turned out delicious... I may have it (recipe) on my Facebook (whatever) Check it out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Hamburger Soup reminds me of my Five Bean Special Chili of years ago, shortly after I retired.

    The townhouse development where I lived at the time had maybe a dozen and a half kids, ranging in ages from little toddlers up to smart young teens about 14 or 15. They knew I lived alone, and so they decided to keep me from being lonely by taking over my place as their home-away-from-home and favorite hideout whenever they got into trouble somewhere else.

    They helped me answer the phone, and feed the family of raccoons that came every evening for supper in the back yard, and they helped me watch TV, and get rid of the popcorn and lemonade and munchies, and when I made my five-bean chili, they'd line up at the door, with a bowl in one hand and spoon in the other, and we'd have a feed of chili for everyone.

    I was the only single occupant in those twenty townhouses, and I had more kids more often than anybody, and they were much better behaved at my place than they were at home, I'm sure. Some of their parents asked me why, and "What's your secret?"

    I replied, "I have only three or four simple rules, like "Nobody comes in here alone - you have to have a buddy." Or "Nobody goes upstairs. That's off limits to everybody but me." Or, "If you make something to eat, you have to clean up your own mess, and not leave it for me to do." And "No fighting in the house. If you really need to fight somebody, then we have to have a Family Meeting, and talk about it first."
    And other than that, they had the run of the whole place.

    One parent asked "Do you actually give these kids the responsibility to look after themselves and expect them to do it?" I replied, "Absolutely! You'd be amazed how smart and how responsible kids can be if you give them a little encouragement and let them try things for themselves. They won't learn if they never get a chance to try. And they're a lot smarter than big people give them credit for, if you just let them prove it."

    My Mom was right - I probably should have become a teacher.

    Once, when I decided I wanted a little more privacy, I got one of those letter-sized plastic signs with cute sayings on them, reading "I'm the guy your mother warned you about!" and tacked it on the back door. The next morning, little Anne, the leader of the gang, and her right-hand man,"The Destroyer", a little guy about ten who wrecked everything he touched, assembled the whole gang of nearly two dozen in my carport, and began chanting "Take Down The Sign! Take Down The Sign!"

    Finally, I went to door, and Anne said, "Shame on you! That's not who you are! Take down that sign right now! If you don't want us to bother you so much, all you have to do is say so." So I took down the sign, and Peace returned to the carport.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story Ray...Just proving you're a swell guy and your blog is well worth reading...Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete