Saturday, December 20, 2014

My love/hate relationship with computers

In the previous posting here, I'm bragging about finally getting PC-BSD to upgrade itself to 10.1. And I wrote that before I tried booting the two Windows systems sharing the same drive with it.

Found out, PC-BSD had taken over the Boot Sector, and I couldn't boot either of the Windows, even when I set it for booting from disk, and put in a Windows installation disk. The only way I could get into a Windows Boot Manager was to go into the Recovery and Repair section of an install disk, and get into the Command Prompt, and make it re-write its Boot Sector. Then, I got into Windows, only to find that somehow, the partition with Windows 8 was virtually destroyed - all the programs were removed, and it was reduced to a bare-bones install situation, as if newly installed. I had dozens of programs on it, and it was up to date with its updates. Not any more.

That did it. I downloaded a fresh version of Easeus Partition Manager, and 
promptly re-formatted the partition with the PC-BSD on it, and turned it into another NTFS partition, and installed Windows 8.1 on there instead of PC-BSD. And then began downloading and installing 129 updates for the wrecked Win-8 on the other partition, which shouldn't have been involved in any of that if everything had gone according to plan. I don't know why it didn't, either.

So now, I have to finish decorating not one but two Windows systems, and all because I got upgrading the PC-BSD, and it did a little more than I planned.... But I will say one thing about that - I'm getting damned good at recovering from unexpected disasters, and I'm learning all the tricks of doing that. Except why it's me they happen to like.

No comments:

Post a Comment