Monday, December 22, 2014

Trouble in Paradise: "Spring Cleaning"...




I wish Pope Francis every success, because there's obviously centuries worth of dust and calcification and skullduggery to be re-examined and swept aside. But I have to wonder who will win... His Holiness, or those hordes of self-interested and self-serving minions who pay lip service to beliefs they make a mockery of every day, while the rich get richer, and the poor go forth to multiply us right off the home planet?

Today's Question Everything should be: "What is the real purpose of religion, and how much of it do we need in order to properly connect us with our God?" Does it take a vast hierarchy of pretentiously pious priests and prelacy? Or only the fervent and sincere hope and prayer that we may somehow be one with our Creator, and forgiven for our transgressions? Beyond the obvious "Show and Tell" there is a whole other thing going on, if we're in the right frame of mind to connect with it, and if we are, then we don't need that "Show and Tell". 

Ever since the days of ancient Egypt, we have been told to go into our room, and lock the door, and say our prayers in secret, that we may be rewarded openly. We have never been told to make a pompous public display of our devotion, because those who do have already received their rewards.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Ray for your thoughts on religion and Pope Francis's plight to cure the Curia...I was born into the Catholic Church...My father was Catholic and my mother a Lutheran...In order to marry my father in the Catholic church she had to allow any children of their marriage to be brought up Catholic...This never sat well with her even up to her death...She was 72...I am no longer a church going Catholic...I do mot feel I have to openly profess my faith...I actually went to college for two years to learn more about my religion...It was at Loras College (in Dubuque, Iowa) that I started to wonder about what happened to all the souls who died in mortal sin because the missed mass on Sunday or ate meat on Friday after these laws were changed? And what about the thousands of North Koreans who charged over a hill in mass and were gunned down and never knew who Jesus Christ was? Did they go straight to Hell? My teachers were not happy with my questions...Not happy at all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm replying to this one by email, Uncle Ron....

    ReplyDelete